What is the peculiarity of the skin of the lips, and why does it need special care? What cosmetics to use to make your lips look more attractive – We will tell you right now.
Particular qualities of the skin of the lips.
Lip care is an important part of a daily beauty routine. What do you need to know about the skin of the lips to take a proper care of it?
The number of sebaceous glands in the lips is reduced, a small number is located only in the corners of the lips. That is why, the absence of proper care will lead your lips to dryness, peeling and cracks.
Dry chapped lips cause discomfort and do not add neatness to your makeup. Therefore, it is better to systematically maintain the health of the skin of your lips than periodically restore it.
You should have more than one lip balm in your cosmetics kit, and one of them must have an SPF protection.
Why lips are getting dry?
The skin of the lips is initially more susceptible to the aggressive effects of the external environment, since it has a thin epidermis and is almost devoid of natural protective lubricant.
The main causes of dryness:
- The negative impact of environmental factors: strong wind, frost or, opposite, the burning sun, temperature jumps;
- Bad habits such as smoking;
- Particular qualities;
Lip skin can also be dried by decorative cosmetics – for example, recently popular matte liquid lipstick. Its persistent texture contains almost no fat components, so this makeup involves enhanced lip care before and after applying lipstick.
How to take care of the skin of your lips?
It seems to be easy, however, there are nuances, and it’s better to stick to certain rules.
Take care of your nutrition:
Beauty begins from the inside. Lack of vitamins and fatty acids in your diet immediately affects the condition of the lips – and this is a reason to reconsider the diet. It should include:
- Fatty fish: mackerel, halibut, saury, eel, sturgeon;
- Nuts (walnuts, peanuts), pumpkin seeds;
- Vegetable oils: olive, flaxseed, sesame, rapeseed;
- Vegetables and greens: spinach, parsley, pumpkin, Brussels sprouts.
Harmful habits such as smoking and eating spicy foods can also lead to dryness, cracking and flaking.
Exfoliate the skin of the lips will help scrub with sugar.
Do not skip the steps of your daily lips care routine.
The daily care algorithm involves several steps:
- Use lip balm: Before going out, apply a protective balm, before going to bed, apply moisturizing, nourishing, and restoring balm.
- Perform exfoliation: Exfoliating is a very useful procedure for the skin of the lips. To get rid of the dryines and improve microcirculation, try a lip massage using soft scrubs, for example, based on sugar.
- Apply primer under lipstick: Instead of a primer, you can use a non-fat balsam. Apply it in a thin layer and “hammer” into the skin with your fingertips or spread it over your lips with a brush.
- Remove lip makeup properly: Do not wash your lips with soap, apply to the cotton pad cosmetic milk or micellar water and gently remove makeup with it, without rubbing the skin.
To clean the lips of persistent matte lipstick, use a nourishing balm. Apply it on the lips with a thick layer and wait 30 seconds. The balsam will soften the pigment, after which it can be removed with a napkin. This method will help keep your lips smooth and healthy, while regular use of aggressive cleansers will inevitably dry the skin.
In hot weather, be sure to use sunscreen balm. Within the city, the SPF 15-20 protection level will be sufficient, but for traveling to warm countries, choose products with an SPF of at least 25. And do not forget to reapply it every 1.5–2 hours (and after snacking).
Click here to take care of your skin and your lips with our beauty gadgets!